Thursday, February 4, 2016

Answering the right call. . . .

A phone call, a text, an email, a face-to-face encounter.  It can happen at any time.  We're always being asked to do something.  More often than not, we answer quickly, not taking into consideration the pros and cons, the blessings versus the possible fall out of accepting the task (i.e., responsibility) we've been asked to assume.  And, we've all heard what the word "assume" can stand for. . . . but, I won't go there. :)

We all want to feel like we're contributing.  However, have we ever really thought about what our contribution is supposed to be?  We jump at the chance to serve, assist, "fix" and placate situations.  But, have we really been called to that situation and purpose?

Recognizing the difference between your calling and your what you think you're called to do can be a challenging task.  The process of evaluating your time, your resources, your talents and gifts, and whether or not you are making good use of all those things can (a) be convicting and liberating, causing growth and the development of boundaries or (b) be difficult and aggravating, causing one to doubt oneself and try to do it all in an effort to compensate for something lacking,  or, as often is the case, just cut and run away from it all.

As you can probably tell, I've been in all those scenarios.  At different stages of my life, I've accepted the conviction and made the changes, and at others, I've just dove deeper until all my emotions were buried with the activity.  I've also just quit . . . and at the most inappropriate times.

I am in a season where change is on the horizon.  God is moving in my life and I'm seeing a new environment take place around me.  New church (well,  sort of. . a little over a year. . ), new friendships, new responsibilities and new challenges!  I don't always take the high road when it comes to dealing with all my "stuff," but that is changing as well.   All this to say that somehow, I've decided to stay in circumstances or situations where it would be so much easier to quit!

So, why do I stay, anyway?  I'm overbooked, overtired, overstressed, overcommitted and yet, I still keep on keeping on.  The truth?  I feel like I have to do it.  I've got that terrible condition commonly known as pride - overconfidence in myself and not enough confidence in everyone else.  And, I hate to say "no."

We've all been there - elated to be in the moment, seeing the light we bring to those we interact with and serve.  It's the driving source for a lot of us - that end product, end result, that euphoric feeling that seems to tell us it's all worthwhile.

Then, the next time that circumstance or activity comes around, one of two scenarios unfolds.   The first is as it should be: focus in the preparation, joy in the research and satisfaction that the job is or will be done well.  Yet, there is that other side of the coin . . .

I know you've been there.  Anxiety, anger, frustration, distraction. .. it seems like nothing is getting done, let alone the one task you embarked upon.  But, there is something driving you on to complete it any way, regardless of how late you stay up or how many times you have to reinstall the printer software. . . .

So, what is the difference?  Can both scenarios be born out of a true calling on our lives?  Could both be one of our choosing or could it be that only one of those is truly where we're supposed to be?

The line is often blurred because stress can be an incredible motivator, if, however, it's the right kind of stress.  Right kind of stress?  What do I mean?  Well, good stress moves you towards challenges that will refine you, grow you, teach you.  Bad stress. . . well, results in bad outcomes.  Physical, mental and emotional exhaustion, not to mention wasted time and money along with a myriad of other resources that may have been employed to get that one last thing finished. . .

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that all negative situations are necessarily bad and not within the scope of your calling.  However, that being said, I would ask you to consider that so many of the things we believe we are "called" to do  are merely the things we choose to do in rebellion against that which we should be doing.  Clear as mud?  I thought so, too.

I believe each of us has a calling - a God calling on our lives.  We probably have more than one, and when they are revealed, we must prioritize them (more on that in a future post).  What I am learning is that not all things I love to do are my calling and not all things I am called to do are things that I love.  That's a real dilemma, in my eyes.  It's a war between the two kingdoms, the Kingdom of Light and the Kingdom of Darkness.  I want to love my calling.  I want what God wants in and for my life.  The problem I run into is that my self-righteous pride gets in the way and causes me much more heartache and stress that is necessary.  Sometimes I "just don't wanna" do what I'm supposed to do.  I've always got something else I'd rather be doing.  But, if I truly want to honor God and the calling(s) He's placed on my life, I've got some growing up to do!  I need to stop relying on my own laurels (or lack thereof) and trust that God has the best in store for me regardless of how I perceive it.  You've heard that old adage, "if He brings you to it, He'll bring you through it?"  Well, there may be something to that.

Our calling should be one that bears the Fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self control (Galatians 5:22-23).  If it brings us anxiety, stress, anger, bitterness, frustration or the like, we might just be doing it our way and not God's (there's a high probability of that!)!
"Therefore, brothers, try even harder to make your being called and chosen a certainty. For if you keep doing this, you will never stumble. Thus you will be generously supplied with everything you need to enter the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Deliverer, Yeshua the Messiah." (2 Peter 1:10, Complete Jewish Bible)
Even when we are uncertain, we can seek out the wisdom of the Holy Spirit and ask for peace and clarity.  God's calling isn't supposed to be stressful!  Challenging?  Yes!  Stretching?  Yes!  But, stressful to the point of causing you to be so distracted and caught up in it all that you can't see the forest for the trees?  Not at all!

We won't always understand our calling right away.  As a matter of fact, I've had to ask God to help me understand a few things.  By His grace, I have begun to understand more as of late than in times past.  God doesn't owe me an explanation, though, and if I have to follow in blind obedience, then so be it.  After all, we do walk by faith and not by sight, don't we? (2 Corinthians 5:7)

So, the time has come to ask ourselves, is what I am doing what I am truly called by God to do or do I just think I've been called?  Even if they are all good things, there is a time and a place for us to be involved.  We don't have to do it all.  God will bring the right person to that position when we are obedient, lay down our pride and walk away.  It may not become evident right away, but seek God and trust Him to reveal His perfect plan, in His perfect timing.  He knows what He's doing.  And the cool thing about that is we don't have to know.  We just have to trust and obey.

Paul  said it more than once, and if anyone knew about being called, Paul did:
"Therefore I, the prisoner united with the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called. (Ephesians 4:1, Complete Jewish Bible, emphasis mine)
"Therefore, from the day we heard of it, we have not stopped praying for you, asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will in all the wisdom and understanding which the Spirit gives; so that you may live lives worthy of the Lord and entirely pleasing to him, being fruitful in every good work and multiplying in the full knowledge of God. We pray that you will be continually strengthened with all the power that comes from his glorious might; so that you will be able to persevere and be patient in any situation, joyfully giving thanks to the Father for having made you fit to share in the inheritance of his people in the light. He has rescued us from the domain of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son." (Colossians 1:9-13, Complete Jewish Bible, emphasis mine)
And don't forget, God doesn't just call the equipped.  He equips the called.  There are so many examples of this truth in the Word - Moses, Rahab, Esther, David, and all the Disciples, just to mention a few.  We are all unworthy.  Instead of being so hard on ourselves, perhaps it's time to take a look in the mirror and ask God to show us what He sees.  Chance are we'll like His view better than our own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! All comments are moderated to protect the integrity of the blog. Thank you for your understanding. Be blessed!