Monday, January 11, 2016

Rooted in Momentum

Momentum -" the impetus gained by a moving object."  Well, according to Google's definition, at least. 

But, what about momentum in God?  Have you ever experienced that?  What does that even mean?  Can an unseen God propel us forward in a tangible world?  I know for myself, the answer is an immediate "yes."

As early as the time of Moses, the Lord has moved His people forward.  "Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.”  (Exodus 3:10) This was no ordinary sending. . . first, God called Moses.  When the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” (Exodus 3:4).  We must first be listening for God's voice when He calls us.  It's not always as clear as that of a burning bush or a ringing bell (or a trumpet for that matter!).  It's a more often than not, a soft, still whisper in the depths of our soul.  It's a pause, a breath, a just stopping short of what we were about to do on our own.  And, when He has our attention, God tells us to MOVE.  He may be sending us, like He did Moses, or he could be calling us out of our comfort zone for something bigger than ourselves.

“The LORD our God said to us in Horeb, ‘You have stayed long enough at this mountain. Turn and take your journey, and go to the hill country of the Amorites and to all their neighbors in the Arabah, in the hill country and in the lowland and in the Negeb and by the seacoast, the land of the Canaanites, and Lebanon, as far as the great river, the river Euphrates. See, I have set the land before you. Go in and take possession of the land that the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give to them and to their offspring after them.’ (Deut. 1:6-8).  

When we don't move on our own, after the Holy Spirit has prompted us to move, God will move us!  But, it doesn't have to be so hard!  If we would just be sensitive to His leading.  He has promised us to take us beyond ourselves and into His glory.  We need not understand the process, we just need to OBEY.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." Prov. 3:5-6

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

 ...“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...." Isaiah 43:1

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you." Psalm 32:8

I could continue with Scripture after Scripture, promise after promise.  The question is, do you and I truly believe in and lean on those promises?  

On a minute by minute basis, you could scrutinize my life and say that I do not.  I could easily be called a hypocrite.  Yet, aren't we all?  We all contradict ourselves in one form or fashion.  It's inevitable.  We're human!  Yet, if you really want to look at my life, I would hope that you would see that my life has become an outpouring of what has been poured into me.  Living Water. . . it runs deep within my soul.  My roots have been soaked in the glory of the Living God and my cup runs over with blessing.  While I still experience pain, depressed moods, challenges and mountains, I am learning to lean on what my Heavenly Father has given me - stability in Him.  I am rooted.  

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought,  for it does not cease to bear fruit.” (Jeremiah 17:7-8)

Rooted.  So, how then do I enter into His momentum?  It's kind of complicated when you are looking in from the outside.  However, it makes complete sense when you really look at what is happening. 

I am rooted in Jesus.  He is more than my Redeemer, He IS.  When you find yourself immersed in the ever present Spirit of the Living God, you can rest in the strength and power He commands.  Rooted in Him, but free to be the Daughter of the Most High King, a Daughter of Sarah, a sinner cleansed white by the Blood of the Lamb and so completely attached to the Rock of my Salvation that I can move forward by His will and authority and power.  

We are not our own.  We like to think that we are in charge of our own lives.  However, we are either fellowshipping with the Light or the Dark.  The choice is a personal one, "But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15)

Momentum.  Moving forward, yet steadfast. The impetus of God at work in our lives, to shine more glorious for His sake and to lead many more to the Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! All comments are moderated to protect the integrity of the blog. Thank you for your understanding. Be blessed!